Our client, a company in the food industry, was struggling to meet demand due to aged management and production processes which had been in place since incorporation in 2013. Until consultation with ammu, our client had no idea the improvements they made to their business qualified for Research and Development (R&D) Tax Credits.
Our client is an award-winning UK-wide company who produces natural and authentic Asian food products for the catering, retail and wholesale market. Their products are gluten-free, 100% preservative-free and contain no hydrogenated fats.
As their company began to grow, one area that stagnated was internal production procedures and management processes – which remained the same in 2016 as they were in 2013. In order to meet demand, they continually hired more staff which incurred greater costs and lowered staff efficiency. It was decided to invest in automating and revolutionising their processes as far as they could in order to remedy the inefficiencies across the business,
The client undertook substantial research into ways of automating their processes. The key challenges were such, to name a few:
- Developing a solution that could adequately track production issues, provide comprehensive reporting, provide real-time dashboards and alerts;
- Ensuring an improved quality control solution to ensure consistency; and
- Create a solution that fitted into existing production schedules
The company employed a software-as-a-service (SAAS) solution as well as an EDI platform to enhance its processes.
The SAAS solution allowed the client to:
- Design and develop their online inventory and order management templates;
- Automate their purchase ordering, stock management, price list creation and product specifications
- Analyse comprehensive data in greater detail.
The EDI platform enabled the company to connect more efficiently with suppliers when processing orders, invoices and transferring data.
Furthermore, purchasing machines allowed them to further enhance their production processes including sealing and weighing machines allowing for 80% increase in production efficiencies.
These technological advances allowed the company to experience several benefits. Not only did they enhance their production processes which allowed them to expand their product reach internationally, but they:
- Improved and created consistency in their quality control processes procedures;
- Ultimately reduced time to market with an increased shelf life of products; and
- Qualified for R&D Tax Credits.
What are your next steps, then?